Your Role as a Class 1 Driver
Haulage and logistics is the 5th largest UK Employment sector, this means that Class 1 Drivers are in demand. You can work on short or long haul delivery runs on either a permanent or flexible contract. Class 1 Drivers are able to drive Category C+E vehicles which include articulated lorries. If you like to work alone and enjoy travelling the country and want a job that is reliable then this is a great career choice!
Daily Duties of a Class 1 Driver
- Plan delivery routes and ensure that routes maximise productivity.
- For goods to be delivered, drivers must communicate with customers to coordinate drop-offs and pick-ups.
- Supervising the Loading of Goods
- To ensure the safety of the product, drivers check that all products are safely secured for transport.
- Route Alterations- Sometimes, routes must be altered if there are accidents or large amounts of traffic.
- Lorry inspections to be sure that it complies with national safety regulations and legal requirements.
- Logging hours and filing delivery forms are the responsibility of the driver.
- If a driver notices an issue with the lorry, it is the driver’s responsibility to see that it gets the proper maintenance.
- Drivers must report any accident or issue to the company dispatcher.
- To ensure customer satisfaction, drivers must interact with customers politely and address any concerns a customer may have.
Required Experience and Skills of a Class 1 Driver
- Good driving skills and knowledge of current Road Transport Regulations.
- Awareness of Health and Safety issues
- Mechanical and vehicle knowledge
- Polite, courteous, respectful and helpful.
- Self motivation and ability to work independently
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to complete Paperwork and often use hand-held electronic devices to log your deliveries.
Enfield is ideally situated close to transport infrastructure which provides easy access to markets in London, the UK and Europe. Enfield's proximity to the M25 provides road access to every major city and business centre in the UK. There are five international airports, serving every major world destination, all within one hour by car. The borough is home to over 12,300 businesses providing almost 132,000 jobs.
Enfield is home to 20 industrial estates which provide jobs within some of the UK's flagship food manufacturers including Coca-cola Enterprises, Arla Foods, Greggs and Warburtons. Other key sectors providing employment in the area include Health and Social Work, Administration and Support Services and Education.
With over 6,000 acres of green space, including parks, golf courses and farms, Enfield is a unique London location. It has a rural feel, yet still offers all the advantages of a borough in the capital.