Your Role as a Class 1 Driver
Haulage and logistics is the 5th largest UK Employment sector, this means that Class 1 Drivers are in demand. You can work on short or long haul delivery runs on either a permanent or flexible contract. Class 1 Drivers are able to drive Category C+E vehicles which include articulated lorries. If you like to work alone and enjoy travelling the country and want a job that is reliable then this is a great career choice!
Daily Duties of a Class 1 Driver
- Plan delivery routes and ensure that routes maximise productivity.
- For goods to be delivered, drivers must communicate with customers to coordinate drop-offs and pick-ups.
- Supervising the Loading of Goods
- To ensure the safety of the product, drivers check that all products are safely secured for transport.
- Route Alterations- Sometimes, routes must be altered if there are accidents or large amounts of traffic.
- Lorry inspections to be sure that it complies with national safety regulations and legal requirements.
- Logging hours and filing delivery forms are the responsibility of the driver.
- If a driver notices an issue with the lorry, it is the driver’s responsibility to see that it gets the proper maintenance.
- Drivers must report any accident or issue to the company dispatcher.
- To ensure customer satisfaction, drivers must interact with customers politely and address any concerns a customer may have.
Required Experience and Skills of a Class 1 Driver
- Good driving skills and knowledge of current Road Transport Regulations.
- Awareness of Health and Safety issues
- Mechanical and vehicle knowledge
- Polite, courteous, respectful and helpful.
- Self motivation and ability to work independently
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to complete Paperwork and often use hand-held electronic devices to log your deliveries.
Peterborough has a population of almost 200,000 people, 125,000 of which are of working age (16-64). There are 117,000 local jobs. Key sectors providing jobs include Health and Social work, Administration and Support Services and Wholesale and Retail trade.
The city centre has leisure amenities including cinema, the Queensgate shopping centre and also has it's own Gothic cathedral and museum. The area is also home to other attractions including Flag Fen Archaeology Park which features Bronze Age village and causeway remains Nene Park and Ferry Meadows recreation area.
To find out more about our Recruitment Agency in Peterborough click here.