Your Role as a Class 1 Driver
Haulage and logistics is the 5th largest UK Employment sector, this means that Class 1 Drivers are in demand. You can work on short or long haul delivery runs on either a permanent or flexible contract. Class 1 Drivers are able to drive Category C+E vehicles which include articulated lorries. If you like to work alone and enjoy travelling the country and want a job that is reliable then this is a great career choice!
Daily Duties of a Class 1 Driver
- Plan delivery routes and ensure that routes maximise productivity.
- For goods to be delivered, drivers must communicate with customers to coordinate drop-offs and pick-ups.
- Supervising the Loading of Goods
- To ensure the safety of the product, drivers check that all products are safely secured for transport.
- Route Alterations- Sometimes, routes must be altered if there are accidents or large amounts of traffic.
- Lorry inspections to be sure that it complies with national safety regulations and legal requirements.
- Logging hours and filing delivery forms are the responsibility of the driver.
- If a driver notices an issue with the lorry, it is the driver’s responsibility to see that it gets the proper maintenance.
- Drivers must report any accident or issue to the company dispatcher.
- To ensure customer satisfaction, drivers must interact with customers politely and address any concerns a customer may have.
Required Experience and Skills of a Class 1 Driver
- Good driving skills and knowledge of current Road Transport Regulations.
- Awareness of Health and Safety issues
- Mechanical and vehicle knowledge
- Polite, courteous, respectful and helpful.
- Self motivation and ability to work independently
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to complete Paperwork and often use hand-held electronic devices to log your deliveries.
Southend on Sea is a seaside town in Essex, it hosts the world's longest leisure pier, stretching 1.34 miles from shore! The area has a population of 174,300 which swells in peak summer season - records show that in excess of 6.5million people visit the area each year.
The area has lots going on, particularly in the outdoors and also has a vibrant nightlife. The estuaries and countryside of unparalleled beauty surrounding Essex make Southend on Sea a great place to live, work and visit.