The role of a Mental Health Nurse
Mental health nurses provide support and nursing care to people with a range of mental health issues, you are responsible for planning their care and rehabilitation. You will work with a wider team of healthcare professionals including Doctors, Psychiatrists and Therapists to ensure a personal care plan is in place for your patients. You may work in a range of settings including hospitals, prisons, specialist units, day care centres or people's homes.
The duties of a Mental Health Nurse
- building relationships with, reassuring, listening and talking to patients
- care requirement assessments and planning
- combating stigma and helping patients and their families deal with it
- administering medication
- reviewing care plans and monitoring progress
- giving advice and arranging support for patients, relatives and carers
- liaising with doctors, social workers and other professionals
- writing and updating patient records
- encouraging patients to take part in therapeutic activities such as art and role play
Skills and experience required to be a Mental Health Nurse
- Good health and fitness
- The ability to empathise with people
- Good understanding of the theories of mental health and illness
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
Swanstaff Recruitment is a Recruitment Agency in Waltham Cross providing Healthcare Jobs, Driving Jobs and Industrial Jobs in Waltham Cross. We recruit for temporary and permanent roles within these sectors and also have some office and commercial roles available.
Waltham Cross is a suburban former village and now a town in the south of the Borough of Broxbourne in Hertfordshire 12 miles (20 km) north by north-east of Charing Cross in central London. It is in the metropolitan area of London, the Greater London Urban Area. The town is known for having one of three surviving medieval Eleanor Crosses (out of 12 originals) in the town centre. The small town is close to the larger towns of Cheshunt, Enfield and Waltham Abbey.
Two local overground train stations provide connectivity to central London links to Liverpool Street, Seven Sisters, Stratford and Victoria, the town sits in Zone 7 for fares.