Your Role as a Support Worker
If you are looking to make a real difference to the lives of vulnerable people then a Support Worker role could be an ideal career choice. By providing assistance to vulnerable adults and children you can promote independence and provide them with both practical help and emotional support. Being a Support Worker, particularly for an agency opens up a wide range of clients including adults and children with learning difficulties, physical disabilities, dementia patients and individuals who have sustained life-changing injuries. Support Worker jobs provide an opportunity to build a large skillset and supporting vulnerable people is also very rewarding.
Support Worker Duties and Responsibilities
- Assessing the needs of new clients by conducting interviews with individuals and their families.
- Reporting on assessments.
- Monitoring medical conditions.
- Aiding clients with daily tasks such as washing, dressing, eating and drinking and general mobility.
- Recreational activities with clients.
- Providing information and support to the families of those within your care.
- Maintaining medical records.
- Participating in training to further your knowledge.
- Providing companionship.
Required skills and experience of a Support Worker
- Empathetic, Friendly and Approachable
- Strong People Skills
- Excellent Communication skills
- Patient and Calm nature
- Be able to relate to people from all kinds of backgrounds
- A good listener
- Mentally Strong and able to cope in sometimes distressing situations
Ashford in Kent boasts to be the second fastest growing district in the county, with a population increase of 22.2% - providing a growing workforce population for the SME's and large corporations based locally. The town has international rail links via the Eurostar and the town is surrounded by idyllic countryside and thriving market towns.
For those that live locally, the area sees fair and affordable house prices compared to other areas in the South East and 34% lower than London. There is plenty to do in the local area too including a Designer Shopping outlet and beaches within easy reach. The area is also becoming increasingly known for its Vineyards and there are various hiking trails along the South Downs.