Your Role as a Support Worker
If you are looking to make a real difference to the lives of vulnerable people then a Support Worker role could be an ideal career choice. By providing assistance to vulnerable adults and children you can promote independence and provide them with both practical help and emotional support. Being a Support Worker, particularly for an agency opens up a wide range of clients including adults and children with learning difficulties, physical disabilities, dementia patients and individuals who have sustained life-changing injuries. Support Worker jobs provide an opportunity to build a large skillset and supporting vulnerable people is also very rewarding.
Support Worker Duties and Responsibilities
- Assessing the needs of new clients by conducting interviews with individuals and their families.
- Reporting on assessments.
- Monitoring medical conditions.
- Aiding clients with daily tasks such as washing, dressing, eating and drinking and general mobility.
- Recreational activities with clients.
- Providing information and support to the families of those within your care.
- Maintaining medical records.
- Participating in training to further your knowledge.
- Providing companionship.
Required skills and experience of a Support Worker
- Empathetic, Friendly and Approachable
- Strong People Skills
- Excellent Communication skills
- Patient and Calm nature
- Be able to relate to people from all kinds of backgrounds
- A good listener
- Mentally Strong and able to cope in sometimes distressing situations
The county of Herts has a population of over 1.2 Million people and an Unemployment rate lower than the national average at 3.6%, with towns including Hatfield, St Albans, Hemel Hempstead, Waltham Cross, Stevenage and Letchworth Garden City all having great transport links to central London. Herts also borders London Boroughs including Enfield, Barnet and Harrow.
The county has a lot to offer residents and visitors, including a Snow Centre, Warner Brothers Studio Tours including Harry Potter Tour and miles of open countryside for outdoor pursuits in areas such as Tring.