Your Role as a Support Worker
If you are looking to make a real difference to the lives of vulnerable people then a Support Worker role could be an ideal career choice. By providing assistance to vulnerable adults and children you can promote independence and provide them with both practical help and emotional support. Being a Support Worker, particularly for an agency opens up a wide range of clients including adults and children with learning difficulties, physical disabilities, dementia patients and individuals who have sustained life-changing injuries. Support Worker jobs provide an opportunity to build a large skillset and supporting vulnerable people is also very rewarding.
Support Worker Duties and Responsibilities
- Assessing the needs of new clients by conducting interviews with individuals and their families.
- Reporting on assessments.
- Monitoring medical conditions.
- Aiding clients with daily tasks such as washing, dressing, eating and drinking and general mobility.
- Recreational activities with clients.
- Providing information and support to the families of those within your care.
- Maintaining medical records.
- Participating in training to further your knowledge.
- Providing companionship.
Required skills and experience of a Support Worker
- Empathetic, Friendly and Approachable
- Strong People Skills
- Excellent Communication skills
- Patient and Calm nature
- Be able to relate to people from all kinds of backgrounds
- A good listener
- Mentally Strong and able to cope in sometimes distressing situations
Maidstone is a large town on the river Medway in mid-kent which is just 32 miles from London. There are over 7000 businesses in the town and a population of around 160,000 people. The town has excellent transport connectivity with Europe, lying just off the M20 motorway connecting it to Dover and the coast. With business overheads as much as 60% lower than London it is easy to see why many choose to locate their businesses here.
For people working and living in Maidstone the area offers a busy town centre with shopping, restaurants clubs and bars on your doorstep and two train stations. There are also great entertainment areas including a fantastic Leisure Centre and country park at Mote Park.