Are you looking to change your career but not sure what to go into? Or maybe you’re looking to further your career by changing it up a bit. Whatever your situation, we’re here to help you through it. So sit back, relax and let us explain your options to you! Let’s start with HGV driving…
In a nutshell, a HGV Driver’s responsibility is to transport goods between the suppliers and the customers. The average HGV Driver salary is around £31,787 per annum.
The daily duties of a HGV Driver:
- Ensuring goods are safely secured.
- Keeping your vehicle in good condition. This includes daily safety driver checks.
- Loading and unloading the vehicle safely.
- Planning and taking the most effective routes to your destination.
Requirements of a HGV Driver:
Even though you don’t need a degree to become a HGV Driver, there are two essential requirements…
- You are over 18 years of age.
- You have a valid UK driving and HGV licence.
- Most companies ask for previous experience.
- Most companies ask for Driver CPC.
The skills needed to become a HGV Driver:
There are a few skills you will need to possess in order to be a HGV Driver…
- A sense of responsibility
- An ability to work independently
- Impeccable driving record
- Customer service skills
- Knowledge of truck mechanics
- Maintenance skills
- Physical stamina
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Organisational skills
- Excellent driving skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Concentration skills
- Attention to detail
Typical HGV Driver interview questions:
So you’re up to this point and now you must be thinking “I wonder what a HGV interview would be like?” Let me give you an insight to the kind of questions you could be asked…
- How comfortable are you driving in unfamiliar areas?
- What would you do if you got lost whilst driving for us?
- How would you stay focused whilst driving for long hours?
- Imagine you are in an accident that isn’t your fault, what would you do?
- If a client was not satisfied because you arrived late with their delivery – how would you handle it?
- Imagine you are running late for a delivery because you encountered problems on route. What could you do to preserve customer service quality without compromising safety?
- If I asked you to do basic maintenance to a truck, what steps would you follow?
HGV Driver interview tips:
So you read some of the possible questions that could come up and now you’re sure you want to become a HGV driver, but you are still yet to go through the interview process. Here are some tips you should take on board for your interview…
- Learn about the company you are interviewing at – look at their website and take some notes on what they have achieved and where they are looking to take their business.
- Dress smartly for the interview – appearances can count for a lot and although you won’t be required to wear a suit when on the job, making an effort will show you are serious.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to get to the interview – this can account for any traffic or delays you may run into.
- When you speak to people, make sure you make eye contact and greet them with a firm handshake.
- Listen to questions carefully and ensure you stay on topic!
Now we have laid out the role of a HGV Driver for you, you’re ready to start looking for your new role! Check out our vacancy page here for more information on what roles we have available for you!
If you’re still unsure on where you want to be with your Driving career, stay tuned for our next blog The Role of a Multi Drop Driver.